Data Protection Policy
West Highland Yachting Week will collect data from event participants at the point of their sign-up to the event.
Entering an event constitutes a positive consent. This will in almost all cases be done online, but also includes any data provided to us by phone, email, paper forms, or any other means of communication. This policy sets out how we collect data, what it is used for, and how we will handle it.
The legal basis for our use/processing of data under GDPR is consent: the individual has given clear consent for you to process their personal data for a specific purpose.
It is necessary for us to collect, process and temporarily store data from event participants in order for purposes set out below.
For the purpose of the GDPR Act 2018, the data protection office is the Secretary
How we collect data
- Online as part of the sign-up process for each event – data is input to the system personally by each participant. Typically, this will include; Name, Address, Telephone Number, Date of Birth, Club/Team, Email Address, Emergency Contact Name & Contact Telephone Number, Yacht Name and optional relevant sailing details.
- Paper entry forms, telephone, email and other means – similar data to above. This is manually input to the same online database as above.
- Where we are providing event timing services, we are supplied with some data for the purposes of programming the timing system – typically; Name, Yacht Name, Handicap, Club/Team
What we use data for
- Creating event start lists and published results (limited data in both cases – typically Yacht Name, Skipper, Handicap, Class, Model).
- Programming electronic timing systems.
- Holding ‘emergency contact’ details in case of medical/accidental emergency or related issue.
- Holding relevant medical data (freely supplied by participants on an opt-in basis) to aid response by event medical teams to incidents.
- Allocating participants to correct class groups.
- Communicating pre- and post- race communication.
- Communicating last minute changes to events, including cancellation.
- Sending occasional e-newsletters to previous entrants with details of upcoming events and results/write-ups of recently held events.
- Obtaining ‘headline’ anonymised data (e.g. gender, age and geographical splits) for economic impact assessments and similar.
How we handle data
- Initially data is input to the database by each participant.
- Data (in the form of a CSV spreadsheet) is downloaded to a password protected West Highland Yachting Week Events file shortly before each event.
- This data is processed to produce event Start Lists and to program the electronic timing system. Printed Start Lists are produced for the purposes of sign-on/registration on the day of each event. These start lists include details of emergency contacts so they can be verified at the sign-on desk. The ‘medical info’ data is never printed, nor are email/phone contact details – these are only held electronically (password protected) by West Highland Yachting Week and used for exceptional purposes.
- Results are produced and published online using Yacht Name, Handicap and Class data.
- Email addresses are held indefinitely by West Highland Yachting Week for the purposes of sending email newsletters from West Highland Yachting Week only – we never pass these details to any 3rd party, with the exceptions listed below.
- All other personal details will be deleted after a maximum of 3 years from West Highland Yachting Week databases.
- We may only disclose your personal information to third parties if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation.
A participant can request removal from the email (newsletter) database at any time, either by electronically unsubscribing from a newsletter, or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
It should be noted that we consider the holding and use of data to be essential for the safe running of an event. If a participant wishes to remove their data from a yet-to-be-held event, it will also be necessary to withdraw from the event.
Entry Form Statement
By entering this event I agree that the data supplied by me can be used for the purposes of safely organising and managing the event, essential communications with me pre- and post-race, and for electronic event timing. This data will be held securely, and for a maximum of 3 years. Email data may be used indefinitely for the purposes of sending occasional e-newsletters by West Highland Yachting Week only.
West Highland Yachting Week gathers personal information relevant only for entry into our events.
We store all personal information in a manner which conforms to data protection regulations.
We may use your email address to provide you with information about the event you have entered and keep you up to date with other events we are organising. Your personal data will not be passed to any third parties under any circumstances, with the following exception; West Highland Yachting Week may be approached by the sport’s governing body for the personal details you have entered this event with. For example, if you are not a member of their organisation already, they may need to know about you so that you can be insured by them.
West Highland Yachting Week does not gather or store any payment details and have no access to your payment card details.
All payments are currently handled by either Paypal or the Joint Regatta Committee